Yes, that's the cause.

The url given to @import must include a hostname

so for example if you have certain customizations for the Vector skin,
you could put them in: MediaWiki:Vector.css/Layout.css and from
MediaWiki:Vector.css:

@import
url('http://example.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Vector.css/Layout.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css');

If your domain supports http and https, relative protocols are supported as
well:

@import
url('//example.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Vector.css/Layout.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css');

That'll work.

Aside from that, this is however a little ineffecient in that it makes multiple
HTTP requests.
Why not just put everythign in MediaWiki:Vector.css (which is loaded by
default).

-- Krinkle