Because (I think) mediawiki running under php 5.3.x wants an absolute session
path in your localsettings.php file or your php.ini file

See

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Errors_and_symptoms#Sorry.21_We_could_not_process_your_edit_due_to_a_loss_of_session_data._Please_try_again._If_it_still_doesn.27t_work.2C_try_logging_out_and_logging_back_in.

Tom