TemplateInfo[1] did this.

The way TemplateInfo works is that there's a parser hook that can be used
in the template namespace. When you transclude the template, the parser
hook returns an empty string. When you render the template page the parser
hook renders a table describing the data inside the parser hook's content.
There was also an API for getting only the parser hook's content for a
given template.

Take a look at where[2] we check to see if the frame title is the same as
the parsed page's title. If you aren't using a parser hook, this approach
won't work, but this hopefully will give you some ideas for how to get
something working.

- Trevor

[1] http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/TemplateInfo/
[2]