Hi,

I am running a couple of relatively small academic Wikis mainly for educational
uses at university. Thus there is relatively little traffic  apart from course
time. Nevertheless, some two years ago I noticed more and more spam and thus
reduced editing rights first to registered users, then to users of a special
group that need my personal acknowledgement. Now, in recent months there is an
increasing number of new users (robots?) obviously attempting to write spam
which they do not do but they are kind of spamming the lists of registered
users. I could reduce the registration rights but on the other hand I want
students  to register freely in order to obtain their editing permissions. Is
there a decent way to detect and prevent harmful would-be spammers from setting
up an account without preventing that option for serious users?

Best

Bernhard

Dr. Bernhard Scheid

Austrian Academy of Sciences
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia

Apostelgasse 23
1030 Vienna, Austria

Tel.: +43-1-51581 6424
E-mail: bernhard.sch...@oeaw.ac.at