You might need to enable some features using the new (since the split off
from UsabilityInitiative) global.

This is out of my config:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/WikiEditor/WikiEditor.php" );
// Turn on toolbar and dialogs for everyone
$wgWikiEditorFeatures['toolbar']['global'] = true;
$wgWikiEditorFeatures['dialogs']['global'] = true;

- Trevor