Hi all

While looking for a reason our Special:ActiveUsers page and API call was being jailed to current month and not 30 days back(still wondering about it). I was told on irc ActiveUsers had been removed from current MW. Yep, last week a commit to remove the Special page, however it still looks like it is being shown as an active link on the statistics Special page.

Got a couple of questions because I don't know if thought out:

My first would be - Why? I realize it might give a limited amount of stats, but I find it useful to know who has been active on the wiki rather quickly. Larger wikis or very active wikis should drop the return in days down to keep the db from being hit too hard. e.g. Last 7 days or last 3 days, it can be set in localsettings.

Why not a flag to turn off or on the Special page? Seems it would have been simpler to take this route than start axing it out, which now looks like there are some remnants left - the aforementioned Special:Statistics page. There is still a link to the ActiveUsers page, active and errors out on mediawiki.org.

Is there a planned alternative? Last year, I think, the API in 1.19 added a way to pull active users with an API call. Will that be removed too?

Struggling to get user participation up on a wiki, statistical data helps whether it is huge sets or small sets of data. Every little bit helps. Interested in how everyone else feels about this.

Thanks!
Tom