On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Andru Vallance <an...@tinymighty.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up a new wiki installation and running into some problems with
> garbage characters showing up due to mismatched character sets. The wiki in
> question is here: http://wikiausland.de/bookshop/Hauptseite
>
> New articles written in are fine and display in UTF-8 as expected, but the
> owner has copied over some content, presumably from an old wiki or MS Word,
> and it seems like it's in ISO-8859-1 and thus showing a heap of question
> marks for all the umlauts etc… does anyone know how I can go about converting
> a page from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 easily enough?
>
> I've tried setting $wgLegacyEncoding to 'ISO-8859-1' [1] in the hope it might
> do the conversion for me on article save, but no joy.  Are there any other
> options?

I guess he copied over into a wiki that was already utf8 and so the
row was marked as being utf8 already when saved.

$wgLegacyEncoding should do nothing if the row is already utf8. You
could fix this with a bot or possibly by changing the flag in the DB
(idk how safe that is...).

But the very first thing you need is a list of pages that need fixing.
Maybe that's just as simple as listing that particular user's
contribs.

-Jeremy