Hi,

This is a heads-up message that support for register_globals[1] will be
dropped in the upcoming release of MediaWiki 1.24. The rationale can be
found in the forwarded email below that was originally sent to wikitech-l.

If you're not familiar with what register_globals is, it was a PHP
"feature" that could actually turn into a major security vulnerability.
More information about it is on php.net[1].

In the past MediaWiki has tried to prevent against attacks in this form,
but starting with 1.24 it will simply refuse to run if register_globals
is enabled. The installer will also display an error if enabled.

If you are running a version of PHP >= 5.4, you don't need to worry
about this. If you are running PHP 5.3, check your php.ini file to
ensure that register_globals is set to "off". There is also some more
documentation on how to disable it if you can't edit your hosting
provider's php.ini on mediawiki.org[2].

[1] http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.globals.php
[2]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Register_globals#Disabling_Register_Globals