Hi Phil

Few things:

1. I assume you mean the tooltips from the Semantic Mediawiki extension
since, i think, Mediawiki itself has no tooltips.

2. The Tooltips in a new wiki I just set up: Mediawiki 1.23.6 & Semantic
Mediawiki 1.9.2 (the one from the Bundle, which I just found out is not the
update to one ) all work.

3. The note and warning tooltips only work when hovered over and do not
seem to offer an x.

4. Info seems offers the x, but if you click elsewhere the popup disappears.

I have an older wiki that only the info tooltip works so I assume if yours
are not working it's most likely an upgrade issue.

Additionally the Foreground skin offers additionally types of tooltips.

All the best. Hopefully this helps.