It sounds like you have a installation managed through git.

I'd recommend implementing your color change by editing the Less files from the
Vector skin (be sure to modified files to git and make a commit in a branch of
your own).

Then upgrading should be as easy as (while in your non-master branch) "git pull
--rebase origin master".

In most cases git will be able to re-apply the patch for you. And in case it's
not, it'll put <<< and >>> markings in the relevant file(s) for you to resolve
and then 'git add' the resolved files and continue the rebase.

— Krinkle