Greetings,

quick intro: I have been a mediawiki user for a long time (wikipedia and
within companies) but I only had a couple of stints at administering one. I
am in the process of setting one up for my neighborhood - or about 65
families.

It pretty much all works but as my neighbors includes anything from very
hightech people to very lowtech grandpas I have to put extra-care in making
sure there are no counter-intuitive things happening.

One of the counter-intuitive things that -is- happening is that when I
create a new page from a pre-existing redlink the link does not become blue
until I use the /purge action in the URL. I checked with showJobs.php and
the job to update the page's cache is there. Somehow however, the jobs do
not get triggered. I.e. as $wgJobRunRate is set to the default (1), every
http request should take one job off the queue, right? But I'm not seeing
this. It seems like the queue just gets longer.

I'm wondering, is this perhaps something that has to do with short urls?
(they are otherwise functional) Or anything else in my .htaccess? It just
seems like mediawiki doesn't see some page reloads or some newly created
pages as enough to trigger the jobs queue to move forward.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Manu