Yes, I agree with what Florian just said.

So basically the current state of things:
Its possible to make 2 pdf files that mediawiki thinks are identical
despite not being. If you uploaded both of them mediawiki will say they are
duplicates on the image description page and on special:listduplicatefiles
(or whatever that special page is named). More concerningly is if you
delete both files you probably will only be able to undelete one of them.

This sounds bad but its not actually that bad. The reason its not that bad
is you can only do this for pairs of specially prepared files where *both*
are specially prepared. You cant upload an evil file that matches some
other file someone else uploaded.

As it stands, its easy to do this attack with 2 pdf files that have
different content (with some restrictions on the content of the pdf files)
https://alf.nu/SHA1 . If you want to do it with some other file format or
use a more specificly crafted file, it will cost you about $100,000 in
 computing resources.

--
Brian

On Friday, February 24, 2017, Florian Schmidt <
florian.schmidt.wel...@t-online.de> wrote:
>> possible attacks on other software that still runs SHA-1 should be
considered. Is that correct, Brian
> I think so, yes. However, this list is probably not the best forum for
it, right? Speaking about MediaWIki _users_: If there's really a problem
with SHA-1 in their setup, they usually (unfortunately) can't do anything
about it, as it's clearly implementation and not configuration. I think
(without speaking for him), that’s what Brian wanted to say :) MediaWiki
users and even site admins can't change anything here, this has to be
handled by developers (if site admins want to join as developers: You're
welcome! :)) and they should usually subscribe to wikitech-l, too :P

> Best,
> Florian

Auftrag von Pine W
mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Betreff: Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Wikitech-l] SHA-1 hash officially broken
>
> As someone who runs a non-WMF MediaWiki installation and might set up at
least one more, it's something that I want to know about. :) More info at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158986, although if I understand the
conversation on the Phabricator task correctly, the consensus is that
migration off of SHA-1 for MediaWiki software is important but doesn't need
to happen overnight because the attack is difficult to execute; however,