Richard wrote:
>Obviously [Yaron's] book is newer and more updated than the O'Reilly
>one, but I'd be curious to see how it compared to the O'Reilly one
>otherwise if someone has read them both.

Hi, I wrote the O'Reilly book.

Yaron's book is surely more current with Mediawiki syntax and development
practices.
Go buy it. :-)

Where my book stands out, even today, is in coverage of the practical,
big-picture issues
of planning, rolling out, and maintaining a wiki in a large, corporate
environment.
(For example, see Chapter 10, "Practical wiki design.")  My team at Vistaprint
runs possibly
the largest and most successful corporate wiki in the U.S. if not the world.
It's 10 years old this Friday and has 250K topics, thousands of users, 100+
custom extensions,
and a full-time software development staff since its inception. So we've
accumulated a lot
of wisdom, and I tried to distill some of it into the book.

FYI, my direct report, Daniel Renfro, presented on some of our work and our
current
challenges at EMWcon last week.

DanB