I hadn't tried that, preferring to stay away from cluttering up the system
as a whole.

However, I was able to discover a work-around. I bypassed the browser
install by using the maintenance/install.php script. But that doesn't fix
the problem.

Still, these symptoms scream "cache" somewhere, and for the life of me, I
can't imagine where.

In any event, I'll post back here if a proper solution is discovered, if
only to help anyone else.  Then again, according to Google, I'm the only
person on the Internets to have come across these symptoms.

--
Andrius