Hi Rich.
First of all, Chameleon should support MediaWiki:Common.css. I just tried
setting it to
body.mediawiki {background-image:
url(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mvHbePT-FyB8YpsjecAdCSvK7XoqOcsa4rqpCksWUDZ1koC_2cOfzvt2QU6rPsk5Yuri=w300)
 !important;background-repeat: repeat;}
on a test wiki and it worked (Careful, this accesses an external resource!).
If this really doesn't work, you could try adding your own less file. See
https://github.com/cmln/chameleon/blob/master/docs/customization.md#changing-styles-fonts-colors-padding-etc

Less is a superset of css, so anything you can put in a css file, you can also
put in a less file. However, I suspect if it does not work in
MediaWiki:Common.css, it won't work in its own file either. One issue with
Twitter Bootstrap used by Chameleon is, that it sometimes sets css rules so
specific, that they take precedence over what you try to set. So, make sure to
be more specific.
Cheers
Stephan