I do believe that it is possible to auto-promote users to certain groups after
certain conditions are met - however I’m not positive on the code required for
this. I know that it is possible because the English Wikipedia auto-promotes
accounts to “extended confirmed user” after the account has made 500 edits and
has existed for 30 days.
Unfortunately, I don’t think that it’s possible to completely unset the “user”
or the “*” groups as these are implicit groups that would likely break
MediaWiki without them. Essentially, any unregistered and logged-in user has to
be able to at least do something - otherwise even you wouldn’t be able to login
should you ever get logged out.
— Amanda

On Thursday, November 2, 2017, 9:18 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000)