If you are not sending data to a 3rd party or using analytics for ads. You do
not even need to seek consent as long as you are anonymizing ip’s. Everyone
seems to forget about two exclusions. Analytics can be viewed as historical
data. As long as you’re not doing any third-party tracking - advertising etc.
you can view analytics as a functional cookie. Paired with historical data this
helps you analyze user interaction with your site, popular pages or problem
pages. Functional cookies also cover things like a CDN cookies and consent
cookies. Session cookies for users too.

It’s when you start adding social sharing and other functions like video
embeds. YouTube has a cookieless domain for embedding. Social sharing is a bit
trickier. I took the sledgehammer approach. If a user doesn’t consent to
cookies, the script for social sharing which will also add cookies will not
execute. Functionality of the site is diminished and the user is informed on
privacy policy page as well as cookie policy page. Basically, it checks the
user’s cookie consent cookie value and will only execute the script if cookie
is set to allow. Vimeo (they set a lot of cookies) widget, I added a cookie
consent check in the script of the widget. Run the script if cookies are
allowed, don’t show embed if not allowed. I instead show an annoying alert box.
Cancel to close box or open cookie settings to allow cookies.

Tom