Protoypes is a good pointer. Thanks!

I didn't find any automatisms, but I can do

someTable={}
setmetatable( someTable, { __index = table} )

and I am set to do someTable:insert(), someTable:concat(), etc. Neat.

Unfortunately it is not as easy for strings. There actually is an automatism
for strings in vanilla Lua, but it is turned off in Scribunto. [1]

Stephan

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual#Metatables:"Note:
 In Lua, all strings also share a single metatable, in which __index refers to
the string table. This metatable is not accessible in Scribunto, nor is the
referenced `string` table; the string table available to modules is a copy."