From: MediaWiki-l <mediawiki-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org> On Behalf Of
Jeffrey Walton
Sent: Thursday, 23 January 2020 23:20
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
<mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: Wikimedia developers <wikitec...@lists.wikimedia.org>;
mediawiki-annou...@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <re...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce
> the formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday
> January 24, 2019.
>
> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you
> continue to use it.
>
> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become
> EOL in June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of
> MediaWiki, MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not
> supported), though the next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released
> in June 2020, and will be supported until June 2023.
>
> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is
> itself unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.

This puts some folks in a bad position.

The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP required,
even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

(In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with antique
software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern software, and
should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).

Jeff