override the installation root directory. in
/var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php:237
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96):
require_once()
#1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264):
require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
#2 {main}
  thrown in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php on line 237

I'm not modifying $wgBaseDirectory anywhere in my LocalSettings.php, so I
don't see why it would be generating this error.  (Note that all of the
files in the stack trace are MediaWiki internal files.)

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/