From: Homich Barb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:44 AM
To: MEDITECH-L@mtusers.com; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: EMR display of edits to documentation

Good Morning,

We have concerns regarding how edits to documentation display in the EMR
and were wondering if other sites share our concerns.

Edited clinical documentation appears in the EMR in a somewhat
misleading manner. In the paper world, when clinical data was edited,
the user would cross out the incorrect data and initial the change. A
new entry would be entered with the current date and time and the entry
would state what the edit contained. Currently in the EMR when a change
is made to the data, the new data replaces the old data in the
assessment and retains the data and time of the original document. There
is no indication that a change has been made within the EMR. So
clinicians, who are referencing the EMR and have made certain clinical
decisions based upon the information found there, may find it hard to
substantiate those decisions if the data has changed.

The system also allows a clinician to edit the documentation previously
entered by another clinician. This edit is attributed to the original
documenter, without a reference to the second documenter.

The audit trails do give the detail of the changes but the audits are
within the individual modules, with more than one module it is difficult
to determine the entry point to search out the edits made.

We would like to see the EMR give a true picture of the documentation
and changes made to the documentation and would like to know if you have
addressed issues similar with Meditech.

Thank you,

Barb Homich

Clinical Apps. Manager

Berkshire Health Systems

  _____

BHS CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any
attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the
use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the
communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify Berkshire Health
Systems immediately by e-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and destroy all
copies of this communication and any attachments.

To check the status of the meditech-l, visit MTUsers.NET

For help, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please visit and add information to the MTUsers WikiPedia at MTUsers.NET/mwiki