On Monday 16 August 2010 22:38:19 Bernd Stramm wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:00:05 +0100
>
> Graham Cobb <g+me...@cobb.uk.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 16 August 2010 20:32:09 Auke Kok wrote:
> > ....> This seems to be related to some of the confused thinking around
> > the "MeeGo can only be built for ARM or Atom" discussion.  The MeeGo
> > production targets are all special purpose devices, whatever
> > processor they may use, and the development systems are just that,
> > development systems.  They are completely unrelated.
>
> I thinks that is not true any more. The MeeGo targets are general
> purpose computers with some specialized user interface devices attached.
> In some cases smaller displays (in some cases bigger), different input
> methods.
>
> But apart from that, they have file systems, network connections and
> most other internals that are general purpose.
>
> In most ways, except for the human interface, these are exactly general
> purpose machines.

Of course.  But the point is that as far as the developer is concerned, they
are targets, of which the developer may have many (Symbian, Windows,
Handheld, Netbook, In-vehicle, Manufacturer X, Manufacturer Y, etc.).  They
are completely separate from their development machine and are considered by
the developer just as if they were special purpose, embedded, systems.

And, of course, you can choose to do your development on a MeeGo system
(presumably a Netbook) if you wish but it can't be a requirement, if MeeGo is
to be successful.  It must be possible, in fact it must be easy, to develop
apps for any or all of the MeeGo targets using any of the major app developer
environments, including major Linux distributions and Windows.

> > For developers familiar with Windows, the advantage of being able to
> > run MeeGo in a chroot in their development system is likely to be
> > outweighed by having to learn a new development platform.
>
> Is that really a big problem? If a developer can't learn to deal with a
> recent Linux system, how good are they as a developer?  And how could
> you expect these people to deal with the target device's behaviour?

A professional developer's development environment is something they are
closely tied to.  They have preferred tools and lots of experience using it
and are much more productive with it than they would be with a different
environment.  I would not expect many app developers to be willing to change
their development environment from Windows to Unix in order to develop apps
for MeeGo.  Particularly as they are likely to be targetting many other
targets at the same time (anything that Qt runs on).

That does not imply that they are not able to learn about the detailed
operation and environment of Linux or any other OS they are targetting.  This
is just like any development for an embedded system.  If they are going to be
effective, they will certainly need to learn about the target environment.
But they don't need to use it as their development system to be effective.

Graham