Please file a bug at: http://bugs.meego.com

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: meego-community-boun...@meego.com
[mailto:meego-community-boun...@meego.com] On Behalf Of Debayan Banerjee
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:35 PM
To: meego-community@meego.com
Subject: [MeeGo-community] meego netbook UX installation problems

Hi,

I have with me an HCL netbook (Indian manufacturer) with a certain
version of Phoenix bios. I installed MeeGo netbook UX 1.1 on it. When
I rebooted the system the kernel panicked. On further investigation we
realised that the installer had detected the HDD as /dev/sdb and had
also written the same device name to /etc/fstab and
/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf. This is obviously wrong. Although while
installing the USB drive is mounted as /dev/sda the installer should
still have the intelligence to figure out that when booting normally
the HDD will be called /dev/sda.
Here is the interesting part: the same image installs perfectly fine
on other netbooks. So I thought that maybe its a BIOS device priority
issue, but then i tried installing netbook UX 1.0 and this installed
and booted fine! The difference between these 2 was the kernel.
Now can someone tell me how anaconda, the underlying installer,
detects priority of devices and whether the BIOS has any role to play
in this. I read up on it and saw that devices.map fills up based on
what the BIOS tells it, but I did not understand it fully.

--
Debayan Banerjee
Software Engineer