On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Gary Birkett <liq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried numerous IDEs and experience and to date have not seen a more
> polished core engineering effort than vb6 :)

Visual Basic is Windows-Only. The future is not WIndows... it´s mixed
windows-Linux environments.

That´s why I suggest you try the Netbeans IDE and give Java a try. A
good book is available for free in PDF format.

Introduction to Programming Using Java, Sixth Edition
Version 6.0 pre-release, January 2011
http://math.hws.edu/javanotes6/

PDF
http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/javanotes6-beta-linked.pdf

Once you try the power of running unmodified Java apps on Linux and
Windows seamlessly (like Vuze or Jedit or Art of Illusion, etc ) you
wouldn´t want to go back to native code and porting your app to every
new OS or platform on Earth (or waiting for the vendor / community to
port it).

Java (OpenJDK) is Free Software, too...

Just my $0.02
FC