Hi,

Foster, Dawn M wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2011, at 6:25 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
>> There's no clear way to get involved in most of these modules, either.
>
> With everything in the MeeGo project, you can submit patches if you want
> to fix a bug or add something to MeeGo:
> http://meego.com/about/contribution-guidelines

Just to clarify what I mean:
* No email list for the UX projects (at least, not mentioned in the
project READMEs - I guess meego-dev is intended as the fall-back?)
* No maintainers names in AUTHORS file
* No TODO list or roadmap outlining future goals of the project
* No Netbook component in the "MeeGo Features" product
* No web-page for the netbook UX projects pointing people in the
direction of the source code, helping them to get it built, packaged &
installed, etc. The MeeGo design guide is the nearest thing I could
find: http://wiki.meego.com/Netbook_Design_Guide
* 641 open Netbook bugs. Some are for upstream applications, others for
bugs related to middleware or platform components, others are actually
in the UX. It doesn't look like they're getting much triage or developer
love. It's hard for someone to know where to start, especially with no
clear maintainer team to ask questions to.
* 24 of those open bugs contain an attachment which is a patch.
http://is.gd/p7um1E - a quick look shows that most of them are coming
from the QA team

So overall, "fix a bug or submit a patch just like for everything else"
seems lacking as a proposal to me. It'd be really nice if we had an
overview of the Netbook UX, if it had a separate identity & we grouped
the panels & myzone together in one place, documented the architecture &
how they work, and see what happens. It would be a bit of work mentoring
people up & giving the project a separate identity as an upstream, but
it could be worth it.

Of course, it may be too late to do this if the future is something else
& the panel is essentially abandoned (and from the looks of it has been
since MeeGo 1.0) - in which case, time would probably be better off
being spent somewhere else, and people running MeeGo on a netbook could
choose to switch to something maintained.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Email: dne...@maemo.org