Hi,

Randall Arnold wrote:
> I can't say that this is definite, but given last Friday's Nokia
> announcement the sense I get now is that Intel had *some* inkling that
> Nokia would be changing its involvement, and that necessitated an
> offline dialog about future MeeGo identity policies.  I have been
> assured that a public announcement and opportunity for community
> involvement (likely at a higher level than before) is coming asap.

I doubt very much that the branding team in Intel had much heads-up of
the Nokia announcement.

What happens in these big companies is that there's a branding team that
works on branding guidelines, and then everyone within the company who
needs to use the logo starts using it as they feel appropriate (esp.
when working with outside design teams), and wait for the branding team
to slap them on the wrist. My guess is that the use of the logo in the
various web infrastructure places didn't go through approval by the
branding team in Intel.

A good policy for branding guidelines is that they should be as simple
as possible, but no simpler. Another good policy is that the policy
should apply to everyone. A good trademark usage policy is easy to
apply, in general, whereas a poor one feels like it's always getting in
the way.

Cheers,
Dave.

--