My 2EU cents...

So, I've invested the time in reading throughout this post, I am a bit
overwhelmed.

David, you have no idea how much I appreciate this sort of forward
thinking that I'd like to see more.

My personal suggestion is to join the linux culture, and engage in
serious discussion with other distros ASAP to learn of their policies
and  how they tackled issues answering to both community and
commercial "customers". At leas we won't start from scratch, and we
should in no way do, as this is open source world, where we can stand
on shoulders of others.

Speaking with ubuntu-universe people together with the PPA notion that
you noted, could be a great start. I'm sure we'd find great insight
into our concerns and we could adopt them to our situation, just as
such with SLES/Opensuse, and also I propose we talk to Erik Troan of
rPath[0] to gain more insight into package management that will help
us solve some of the differences between surrounds and core as you
mentioned throughout their version evolution.

(Back in 2006, Erik was invited to UDS-Paris to discuss multitude of
things not limited to but also package management, repositories  and
community, this is how I met him)

Again my personal 2 cents perhaps naively believing meego is unique,
but not unique enough to reinvent so many wheels, I apologize if this
shows lack of knowledge of the project essence, but I have't yet
gotten to it and will gladly stand corrected!  :-))

-Sivan

[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPath#History