On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 04:34:31PM -0500, Bharat Kapoor wrote:
> Hi Harri
>
> This is really cool news.
>
> Is the effort aimed at using N900 as a primary device to develop
> applications (garage / marketplace) for the MeeGo platform or just making it
> available for hacking away. I ask this question because I did not see any
> simulator/emulator in case people did not have access to device or like
> Warren use the N900 as their primary phone. It would be worth the effort for
> MeeGo to give it a shot, as Android did, an emulator could help with quick
> adaptation of Meego - just my 2 cents. (if there is something already there
> - my apologies as joined the bandwagon too late)
>
> Regards
> Bharat

Hi Bharat!

I am not Harri and I do not speak in any official capacity whatsoever. But:

About a simulator/emulator: This is something I am personally highly interested
in. And I would like to say that since the initial MeeGo
code crop, they have provided both a version of QEMU and instructions on how to
get the N900 version of MeeGo running in it. So I am very
confident in that exactly the thing you would like to have is already partially
available and the rest is definitely something that would
be in the works. In fact, if you scrape thoroughly enough, the only hurdle left
is support for getting the GUI up and running. The same
one that is not yet released :)

Just for kicks, this is what is at least possible since 2 months already:
http://www.tuug.fi/~toni/serendipity/index.php?/archives/18-N900-running-on-Mac-OS-X.html

What I am thinking is that there is going to be superb Qt Creator integration
of code development, compilation, deployment and emulation
out of the box for the platform of your choice, including the N900. If you can
just wait until they get around to it :)