On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:08:38AM -0400, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all I want to thank you very much for giving us this great
> mobile platform. MeeGo is just amazing!
>
> I know that the MeeGo kernel process has been a big debate before (I
> have read the archives).
>
> I cloned the kernel-source tree and saw that it only contains patches
> against different kernel versions.
>
> Just was wondering what are the benefits/disadvantages using this
> approach (set of patches) over having a complete
> different kernel tree?

As learned by people maintaining kernel packages, it works better this
way over the long term (and even the short term).  You have an easy
separation of upstream and added patches and you can remove/add patches
at any place in the stream.  It also makes it much easier to forward
port to newer kernels and to know exactly where each change came from,
and if it is still needed or not.

All development should be done upstream anyway, so having an expanded
tree would not be a good idea.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h