On 10 Jun 2010, at 16:34, Greg KH <gre...@suse.de> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:18:10AM -0400, Robert Rambo wrote:
are you saying that MeeGo will be slow on non SSSE3 computers?? that's not the case at all.. of all the OS I've installed on my EeePC 900 (Celeron),
MeeGo is by far the fastest running..

Then you were running some pretty slow OSes before this one :)

Given that this is running on a celeron, do I assume that the cflags have changed for the whole os in meego ( versus moblin). Previously, moblin just wouldn't run if you didn't have ssse3.

Seriously, the SSSE3 instructions are there to help accelerate the 3d
graphics that MeeGo needs.  Turning them off is a very noticable
difference.

I can see how this makes sense for certain types of applications and libraries.

But how does this relate to packages in MeeGo Core for example. Given that different devices are going to have different UX stacks, abstracted to a certain degree from the underlying MeeGo os. Does it make sense for libusb or bash or any of the core os packages to rely on ssse3 ? In theory a meego for olpc could be possible. Or meego for schools that targets old hardware (just random examples).

Kind regards
--
Glen Gray <sla...@slaine.org>