On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Christian Daudt <cs...@daudt.org> wrote:

> Where are these guidelines that all other distros comply with and
> Meego is deliberately not complying with?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

%changelog is needed.

Although I just noticed that openSUSE doesn't allow %changelog either
(probably).

> I've always known
> distro-agnostic rpms to mean using the least-common-denominator
> between suse and redhat (which is also why very few people bother with
> it - you loose distro specific benefits to make yourself distro
> agnostic). And all of the incompatibilities I've seen stated here have
> been justified, so they aren't there for the explicit purpose of
> creating incompatibilities as the subject line in this thread implies.
>  It seems to me that there this is just about a disagreement over the
> priority of having meego specific portions to the guidelines versus
> forcing meego to the least-common-denominator of spec file creation.
> None of the other distros in the past have stopped evolving their own
> rpm usage for the sake of being cross-distro compatible (or not
> breaking what little compatibility there is).

True, but see these examples:

Release:        1%{?dist}

That's perfectly fine on Fedora, and openSUSE, but not on MeeGo.

OBS replaces the Release field anyway:

I have the following modifications for dsp-tools.spec:
3c3
< Release:      1%{?dist}
---
> Release:      3.1

So whatever the spec file has in the Release field should be
irrelevant. But no, packages are rejected if you add a %{dist} tag.

So how is being cross-distro compatible hurting MeeGo's evolution in this case?

Also, changelog2spec is used by OBS to convert a %changelog section
into a .changes file. So why are packages being rejected if they have
%changelog instead of .changes, event thought the .changes file would
be *exactly* the same that changelog2spec generates?

What are these elevated features being lost?

--
Felipe Contreras