> So... do we have a conclusion to this discussion? Do I use the
> variables, or do I leave the paths as-is?

I checked current 4.7~prerelease and Thiago is right:
%define _qt4_prefix %{_libdir}/qt4
%define _qt4_bindir %{_qt4_prefix}/bin

I changed this in 4.7 beta 2 packages to use standard prefix and
bindir (hopefully, public soon).
It explains my mistake as I checked on my box using these packages.

> To be honest I'd rather an alternative if one exists, as installing to
> /usr/
> on non-unix platforms... isn't really that great - but at the same
> time, I
> think any solution is better than what exists at present. :)

You'll be able to use the variables with 4.7 beta 2 packages.
Unfortunately, only the prerelease is available atm
so keep it as you proposed initially (hardcoded).

Cheers,

Fathi
ps: I guess we can also override qmake properties during the package build
    and set the used variables.