On 16/09/10 20:06, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On 9/16/2010 11:44 AM, David Greaves wrote:
On 16/09/10 19:09, Skarpness, Mark wrote:
If the 2nd differs because it "depends" on the first one then what
additional burden exists?
As we have discussed repeatedly - the burden that a device must
provide a way
to install the second app (or dependency).

Can we agree our goals?

I think we need to achieve 2 things:
* permit the open-source development model to work for compliant
applications

I strongly object to the use of the term "open source" here.
It's not open source, it's not even about the development model.

However it is the the archetypal open source development model.

It's about a componentized application with cross app shared components.

Yes... it is. So maybe you could address this point where I clarified that :
If we, as MeeGo, believe in the open source model that "builds on the work of others" and "co-develop shared components" ... then why do we prohibit the underlying development model that got us here?

* define the spec in a way to minimise the imposed burden on vendors

It's not about minimizing the burden (although that's part of it).

I would apologise... but I could go back and quote each of the objections and that's how they tend to start.

I can only address the objections raised.

It's about having something that is viable and interesting
for vendors and operators alike. These guys have a set of strong desires
that you need to be able to meet to have a product
(and meego is just a component of such a product) that interests them.

I know a lot of people here don't like or agree with that model. But the
model is just market reality right now.

Again, many of us are not naieve or dim.
I'd like to see the problems put into a crystaline form or we're tilting at windmills.

And you haven't answered the million dollar question:

Arjan, Mark : do you *want* to aim to permit the "componentized application with cross app shared components that so typifies the way 99% of open-source development works" for compliant applications

*Please* note I said permit and not mandate.

Given both of your histories I cannot believe we are not ultimately aiming for a very, very similar goal.

So how do we identify it and achieve this?

David
--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."