On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Arjan van de Ven <ar...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>  On 9/18/2010 8:46 AM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> systemd has design issues which have to be hashed out obviously (Fedora
>>> is
>>> punting on it for F14 for a reason)
>>> upstart has license/contribution issues which are not pretty
>>
>> Fedora is putting it on F14 because F13 was practically out when
>> systemd was announced.
>
> Fedora is NOT using systemd in 14 ..only in 15 maybe

Ah, you said puNting it. Anyway the ditching is a _very_recent
development (3 days ago):
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Features/systemd&diff=197386&oldid=190419

However, the point is that before that, they considered it ready, as
it's in F14 alpha[1]. Everything points out that the issues would be
resolved.

>> If you want speed, you need a customized boot process in traditional
>
> yes I know a thing or two about boot speed.... so far MeeGo is one of the
> fastest booting Linux OSes in the market
>
>> init systems (sysvinit, upstart), because everything gets started, so
>> then you need to pick and choose what really gets started, and when.
>
> that's regurgitating systemd propaganda... but that does not make it true ;)

It's common sense; in my Fedora laptop I don't use cups, but it's
started anyway. If I want to optimize the boot time for speed, I need
to manually turn off the services I'm not really using. Presumably
MeeGo is doing the same. However, if the process is not started at all
(with systemd), then I don't need to turn it off.

>> But systemd turns the problem around; nothing gets started, unless
>> it's really used, so there's less need to customize (if any).
>
> systemd turns it into a worst case problem unfortunately, because now you
> hit the start latency ALL THE TIME.
> this is what I meant with design issues; systemd's design isn't going to
> give you a super fast boot. Now
> maybe they'll fix it sometime in the future.... but today it makes systemd
> entirely uninteresting for booting fast.
>
> yes it'll boot faster than the really really slow existing Fedora, but
> that's not an interesting benchmark point.
> the benchmark point should be the state of the art, not the worst of the
> industry.

I don't know what you call "state of the art", is it a highly tweaked
sequence of events? I can get the same on my Fedora system if I want,
but that would require a lot of effort. And that's the point;
constantly tweaking the services to start at the right time simply
doesn't scale. With systemd such tweaking is not necessary.

>>> It's ok to have multiple competing technologies; that's one of the ways
>>> innovation happens in open source.. competition.
>>
>> Sure, but we are not using any, so I don't see why we should assume
>> that upstart will be used. I think both approaches need to be
>> carefully and equally considered.
>
> oh trust me we are looking at all options, very very carefully. That's why I
> said that upstart currently is more likely than systemd,
> but frankly, for 1.2 we might also just stick with what we have now.. it
> works and is fast.

Well, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't trust anyone's word
without evidence. A document explaining such detailed analysis with
hard numbers and preferably the tests to generate that data would be
very welcome. That's what I would consider careful.

[1] http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Fedora-14-Alpha-Released

--
Felipe Contreras