On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:16:50PM +0100, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 15:59, Greg KH <gre...@suse.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:24:26PM +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, LF thinks the name Smeegol, while funny and inventive, might not be the
> >> best name of the decade.
> >
> > Sorry, but it's not up to them to like or dislike a name that has
> > nothing to do with their product name.  There is no trademark law
> > violation here at all, so for them to claim there is, is disingenuous.
>
> To play Devil's Advocate (and, of course, IANAL), the trademark is
> completely contained within the name "Smeegol":
>
>   "S" + "MeeGo".lower() + "l"
>
> Is this grounds for complaint with regards to trademark law?

No it isn't.

Oh sure, you can try, but as it is a totally different word, and it
actually comes from a different source (i.e. you didn't randomly create
it), there is lots of defense that it is not confusing at all.

And that's the point, trademark law is all about "confusion", I don't
think that anyone is confused that the two are different offerings at
all here.

thanks,

greg k-h