From: meego-dev-boun...@meego.com [mailto:meego-dev-boun...@meego.com] On
Behalf Of Auke Kok
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:48 AM
To: jms yang
Cc: meego-dev@meego.com
Subject: Re: [MeeGo-dev] how to test video performance on Meego

On 10/14/10 01:55, jms yang wrote:

> Hi there...

> how and what software do you guys test the video performance on meego?

> 1. frame-rate

>   - Beside the "fpsdisplaysink" in bad plugin to shows the framerate, any
> others?

> 2. CPU consuming

>   - how?

> 3. Other

We have several ways of looking at media performance in general.

First we do what everyone can do: Just play media, and see if the

quality is acceptable (no tearing, stuttering, sound stays in sync etc).

We generate several sizes of video to figure out what the capabilities

of devices are and pick suitable video resolutions and bitrates from

there on.

Second there are people working on a more methodical analysis such as

cpu utilization during playback, power consumption, etc. We mostly try

to actually use the media stack that the end user will see in those, and

not some artificial way of launching the video without the UI involved.

For more information on methods, follow the phoronix test suite, they

have published a great deal of test methods that are free to download,

inspect, use for everyone and will show you how you can measure various

parts of media playback performance.

Auke