On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Igor Stoppa <igor.sto...@nokia.com> wrote:

> On 11/25/2010 10:57 AM, ext Gary Birkett wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> A few days ago at the conf, we used a USB key to boot and flash the
>> entire system replacing the OS on the ideapad.
>> I have a need to test alternative images but I would like to maintain
>> the changes I have made in my current system.
>>
>> Is it possible to prepare a flash drive capable of a complete image
>> backup onto a new memory stick?
>> ie, boot from a USB stick and fill the stick with the contents of my
>> hard drive.
>>
>> It would allow us to store the system state right up until that point
>> and whilst may have issues space wise would be a practical simple way to
>> allow testing.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> At least on ubuntu 10.10 you can use any bootable image to create a USB
> stick and assign a certain amount of the remaining free space to be used for
> storing settings/documents.
>
> The tool is "Startup disk creator".

Igor,
this is slightly different, the "Startup image creator" tool you mention
combines an ISO file stored on my disk with some magic to make a USB stick.

But I do not have an ISO image of the system, I have an actual real bootable
live system on the meego ideapad.
I have been running it and made changes and installed things and now want to
push all that back onto a usb stick as a super complete image.

Once I have done that, I can keep that USB disk with image and know that
whatever other changes I make to the system I have a complete binary image
on the usb stick that is capable of reflashing as required and get my system
right back to exact point it is now.