On 12/14/2010 3:34 PM, Nishanth Menon wrote:

a relatively current release will be chosen yes. Now "last formal" is a hard term; since 2.6.38 likely will be out before 1.2 ships, 2.6.37 is clearly not the last formal release at the time of ship. (but 2.6.38 will be out very shortly before 1.2 ships, so picking 2.6.38 would not be the smartest thing in the world)
It does - we would'nt decide on a reference kernel at the time of shipment right? We'd do it when Trunk opens up. so using MeeGo 1.2 as an example - we'd look at the formal kernel released at ~2010-09-30(MM1) and release with that kernel at 2011-04-21 (date for MM5). You'd as well not pick on a rc either given that the rc to formal release date is really not predictable from a distro perspective.
actually that's extremely predictable... 84 days +/- 3 days for the last 5 years ;) I'm quite comfortable picking a kernel that's in -rc when we start the development cycle (which is 6 months after all)... if the kernel is at -rc3 or so at the start of a 6 month cycle... 5 to 6 weeks later the final is there. That's quite ok with me.

during the -rc's only some 10.000 lines of code change at most, not a big deal... (measured that from an -rc2 to final)
(stable releases sometimes change more than -rc's do ;-)