On Tuesday, 18 de January de 2011 13:03:38 Carsten Munk wrote:
> Some comments about current hardfp RPM optflags has been that we have
> -mno-thumb . And some vendors might want to optimize some things for
> thumb in terms of memory size. So I'd like to preempt this issue
> before we run into it in deployment by vendors - and help by having a
> standard set of optimized packages.
>
> Thumb2 is problematic on some silicons, due to
> http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/ARM_ERRATA_430973.html - and this
> includes Nokia N900 and possibly other boards. But it is also very
> useful when it comes to memory and cache size of the running system.
>
> My proposal is to add on top of the 2 (armv7nhl, armv7hl) hardfp
> architectures, RPM these definitions:
>
> armv7thl: -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -mthumb
> armv7tnhl: -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon -mthumb
>
> armv7thl would be install compatible with armv7hl
> armv7tnhl would be install compatible with armv7thl, armv7nhl

Do we need to rebuild everything?

I'd say that the vendors who have devices that properly run Thumb2 can enable
that for their own builds.

And by the way, Qt 4.7 does not compile in Thumb mode on Linux. And this
includes any code that uses Qt. The Linaro folks have submitted a (rather
trivial) patch to fix the issue, but it isn't in yet.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358