On 3/8/2011 1:39 AM, Martyn Russell wrote:
On 08/03/11 06:32, Marius Vollmer wrote:
ext Arjan van de Ven<ar...@linux.intel.com>  writes:

(we're seeing quite some crashes, which worries me from a security
pov)

In my experience, these crashes happen mostly in the various extractor
modules, which try to parse as many obscure file formats as possible,
sometimes with quationable code.  This task is done in separate
processes (with as few capabilities as possible, ideally), to protect
the rest of the system from them.

Just to add to Marius' comments here:

Yes, he is 100% right. From very early on, we decided to design the extractor as a separate process because we often see crashes with rogue files pushed through the mill crashing for different reasons. I should emphasis at this point, this is rarely tracker-extract's fault, but more commonly the libraries we depend on crashing with interesting files. We've seen this with GStreamer, libjpeg, libtiff, poppler, etc.

kinda scary... we need to pay close attention to these.

Presumably you're not still using version 0.7 of Tracker?

we're using whatever version of Tracker that the package owner (from Nokia) has decided was best for MeeGo.

As I said in my original mail, we're currently planning to fix, not replace this. Performance is a clear concern, as is security (has the tracker/tumbler team tried fuzzing of inputs?), but at this point it looks like mostly a set of individual issues that are fixable, by and large the integration of this stuff has been ok (minus the sample media stuff, but that seems to have
gotten mostly fixed lately)