On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Brendan Le Foll <bren...@fridu.net> wrote:
> MeeGo will never be a usable commercial OS that system vendors can
> package and put on devices if our video APIs are based on a non DRM +
> proprietary codec friendly system (never mind the other problems
> mentioned by Dave). Gstreamer makes such integration fairly easy and
> there is integration for various hardware acceleration.
>
> Anyways we can harnest most of the power of ffmpeg in gstreamer with
> gst-ffmpeg, if you feel you're missing some codecs ;-)

>From my perspective, every line of new code is a bug that hasn't been
filed yet. So why throw out code that has learned to survive in so
many environments, with so many different codecs, languages,
encodings, etc. Furthermore given that the code is now "1.0" perhaps
it will have better stability ongoing?

MLT which I posted about in follow-on, is a another interesing ffmpeg
derivative that's also seen a lot of use:
http://www.mltframework.org/twiki/bin/view/MLT/Projects including
OpenShot and Kdenlive . (Correction: previously, I may have implied
MLT is qt-based -- I was referring to
http://mltframework.org/BuildOnMe.git which is a template player based
on MLT that can be built, portably, in qtcreator, with dependencies on
mlt libraries).

Re: mplayer -- doesn't it come with lots of proprietary codecs (
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/ ) -- seems pretty
friendly to supporting them.
Furthermore, doesn't mplayer also support hardware acceleration:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPlayer_FAQ#Hardware_Acceleration_Patches

Regarding codecs on MeeGo,
http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo-Lem#Be_able_to_watch.2Fhear_common_internet_media_formats
gives me:

meegolem-11-~/qt> zypper se ffmpeg
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                    | Summary                                  | Type
--+-------------------------+------------------------------------------+--------
i | ffmpeg                  | Digital VCR and streaming server         | package
  | ffmpeg-devel            | Development package for ffmpeg           | package
i | ffmpeg-libs             | Libraries for ffmpeg                     | package
i | ffmpeg2dirac            | Convert any file that ffmpeg can decod-> | package
i | ffmpeg2theora           | Convert any file that ffmpeg can decod-> | package
i | ffmpegthumbnailer       | Lightweight video thumbnailer that can-> | package
  | ffmpegthumbnailer-devel | Headers and libraries for building app-> | package
  | gallery2-ffmpeg         | Ffmpeg module for Gallery 2              | package
i | gstreamer-ffmpeg        | GStreamer FFmpeg-based plug-ins          | package
  | kffmpegthumbnailer      | A video thumbnailer for kde based on f-> | package

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com