Hi all,

One of the things we're trying to achieve in 1.3 is Wayland support,
but there seems to be very little documented on actual plans/tasks to
be done and not high transparency on what's being done currently. So
how do we change this? -  we need to get all the effort pushed into
this as we can and ideally not do too much duplicate work :). I've
taken a liking to Wayland in MeeGo and am trying to contribute what I
can, myself.

I'm wondering if we should decide on a place to meet about MeeGo &
Wayland (#wayland on irc.freenode.net?) and perhaps have a
synchronization meeting on efforts regularly - what do you think? Set
up a wiki page on wiki.meego.com etc.

To kick off the discussion, I'll state what I'm personally currently
working on is the following, from an MeeGo ARM PoV - to make sure we
are along in the push for Wayland in MeeGo both in IA and ARM.:

* Wayland WSEGL for SGX drivers
  - This is a proof of concept[2] that has been working on N900
fine[1] and can probably be reused on other SGX based devices, does
not require SGX userland modifications. Code can be found from
https://gitorious.org/wayland-sgx/wayland-wsegl/trees/master.
  - It's derived from Qt's PVRQWSWSEGL and licensed accordingily
    (There's bits and pieces from Mesa wayland-egl, if I'm missing a
copyright header/attribution, please provide it in your mesa source
files and/or hint me and i'll fix things ASAP)
   - It does not provide the traditional egl extensions for wayland,
but works in a way where wayland-egl api works for unmodified qt apps
using wayland(GL) platform plugin and hw integration is easy for a
compositor to do.
* Packaging up qt5 for MeeGo, making new packaging in yaml format,
fitting more with the lighthouse reality (platform plugins/etc) - will
ask for comments here when I have it.
  - I know we're looking into a special qt 'version' for MeeGo that
gets what it needs from Qt5 before Qt5 release but this doesn't exist
yet in code (I think), so need something to work with.
* Playing with qt-compositor, while looking into the wayland-demos
compositor hardware integration to make it work with tablet UX
approach.
* Maintaining my own mesa and wayland packages (and i'm sure that this
is something we could all work together on)
* Playing with qt5 and mesa llvmpipe on ARM and qt-compositor in nogl mode.
* Rebasing my initial proof of concept for N900 on qt5, was previously
on qtquick2-integration of lighthouse branch.

What are you guys working on and is there any open tasks you'd like to
mention - to inspire others to contribute?

[1] http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/wayland/20110509_001.jpg
(composition speed, no Xorg, not really optimized path, proof of
concept etc etc)
[2] http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/wayland/DRMSGX_rendering.png ,
http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/wayland/DRMSGX.png

Best regards,
Carsten Munk
MeeGo Nokia N900 hardware adaptation maintainer