I'm currently taking recommendations to implement obtaining the proxy
from system configuration, most people seem to recommend libproxy,
which is fine. The problem I see with it is that if you take a look at
the MeeGo Compliance document (latest:
http://wiki.meego.com/images/MeeGo-Compliance-Spec-1.1.80.1.pdf),
you'll find it is marked as dep and not as core.

As an application developer that might seek forward compatibility, the
fact that this is not part of the *MeeGo API* and secondly, that it is
marked as dep bring in concerns.

Is it possible to have this included as part of the API or is there a
project underway to have Qt implement this functionality wrapping
around libproxy or something?

core, is forward compatibility guaranteed if linking against core
symbols which are not listed in the MeeGo API?