On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Carsten Munk <cars...@maemo.org> wrote:
> 4) Work towards better vendor relations and software to support these
> as well as easier contribution methods.
>
> As part of our "customer oriented" goal we're improving delivery
> methods from Mer. We are designing simpler and more resilient update
> mechanisms to support smaller and more distributed organisations
> (think outsourcing too!). We want to encourage easy upstream
> contribution and easy following and  patching of the MeeGo source tree
> - even with local vendor patches.

There are numerous system that already allow this, specifically in the
Debian world. Linaro are using Launchpad to do just this. Isn't this
an attempt to reinvent some wheels? If we did align with the debian
packaging format we could have used this infrastructure which is ready
made, and can even be deployed by us if we would not want to ask
Canonical for it. Although I'm sure they'd be keen and happy to help
without any charge and even support any community infrastructure we
would require for free.

My 0.003 EU cents on this particular point.

-Sivan

> 5) Initial reference vendor - the Community Edition
>
> To make our work focused, the Community Edition handset work[4] will
> continue based on the Mer Core. It will act as a model of a reference
> vendor [5] and will provide feedback into the project about delivery
> methods and problems caused by changes.
>
> We recognise that much needs to be done:
> * Hosting and build systems

Again, why don't we forget reinventing the infrastructure in the price
of using debs (which is a known a loved format for embedded computing
everywhere, and since RPM and DEBs are just a way of packaging and not
really an issue if we chose one or another, just use Launchpad like
Linaro does?)

Thanks for the proposal!

-Sivan