> I'm trying to generate a LFM Chirp source i.e. freq = f0 +K*t, where K
> is the chirp rate. When I do the envelope of the curve always seems to
> grow bigger. I've tested my chirp function itself and it appears to
> work
> fine. I even put in a slow rising envelope (similar to the built in
> sinusoidal function) and that didn't help.

What you are seeing, I suspect, is a nice physical demonstration of
the density of states. As the frequency of the current grows, the
amplitude of the field will grow.  Just try putting in a continuous-
wave source and varying the frequency, and you'll see that increasing
the frequency will increase the amplitude of the resulting field.

The reason for this is related to the reason that the sky is blue
(scattered power increases with frequency). This is sometimes phrased
in terms of the density of states, which increases as the frequency to
the d-1 power in d dimensions.

This is a common confusion with Meep users.  The current is not the
same thing as the resulting field, and the current amplitude alone
doesn't determine the resulting field amplitude. Not only is it
affected by the frequency, but it is also affected by any surrounding
geometry (which changes the local density of states).  A classic
example is an antenna in front of a ground plane, which radiates very
different amounts of power depending on the distance between the
antenna and the plate (half wavelength vs. quarter wavelength, for
example).  A more recent example is a current source inside a medium
with a complete photonic bandgap -- for frequencies inside the gap, no
power at all will be radiated.

Steven