That is right. I started using fields::use_real_fields and it got
about 2 times faster.
Could you tell me how much it influences the results ?

One more funny thing I noticed about  fields::use_real_fields is that now
the problem with not working HDF fields output that I described in an
other mail on this forum ("Unable to output fields to HDF in MPI meep.")
seems to be solved. When using real fields I can output
HDF fields in MPI mode without problems.

Thank you.

Thomas Jefferson