Occasionally harminv will miss modes (or find spurious ones)...you have to remember that it is solving a rather tricky signal-processing problem. So, when you compute band structures by running harminv at lots of k points, occasionally you will get missing data points. For example, you can see a few missing points in the band structure of the tutorial:

http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Meep_Tutorial/Band_diagram%2C_resonant_modes

When this happens, I usually just ignore the missing points -- the bands are continuous, so it is obvious that the points are there, and you can just interpolate. If you really care, what you can do is give harminv an easier signal-processing problem: run it with a narrower- band source centered right on the frequency where you think the point must be. Then it should find the point. (This is also a good way to check for spurious modes, and in general to verify the harminv results.)

Steven