**Dear Meep Users,

I have a quick question about using meep-mpi on a multicore processor,
specifically the new CORE i5 from Intel.  MPICH2 recognizes the availability
of the multicore processor and initializing the meep-mpi command using (from
the apt-get binaries):

mpirun -np 4 /usr/bin/meep-mpi some_structure.mpi

successfully starts meep, recognizes the 4 processors and is off
calculating.

The problem is that the performance is worse with 4 cores than it is with
one core.  For example, running the holey-wvg-cavity.ctl example takes 27s
and 76s with 1 and 4 cores, respectively.

Am I doing something wrong in configuring mpirun that causes the performance
to suffer?  Am I missing some critical idea about MPI/MPICH2 on multicores
that can explain the performance degradation?

Thank You,
Jonathan Hodges
Columbia University