Dear Dr. Steven,
You suggest to use a CW source at each frequency and wait for the system
to  reach steady-state.
What is the mean of systems steady-state
How can I understand system is steady-state or not.

I try to get transmission curves of nonlinear wg.
I apply to cw input source at each frequency without/with constant freq.
pump signal (which is vertical direction to wg) though nonlinear wg.
I apply to different end of time for flux simulation at the end of the wg.
I have different flux level for each case and different spectrum.Some gap
frequency is shifted.What is the reason? If there is wrong procedure,
could you show me the correct way.
thank you.

Re: [Meep-discuss] About nonlinear transmission curves
Steven G. Johnson
Thu, 07 Aug 2008 11:24:34 -0700

On Aug 6, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Chen wrote:
> 1. In the Meep Manual, Steven suggested that we should monitor the
> power going
> through the linear system, then change the current amplitude to get
> the
> expected power. However, there are two kinds of power, which are the
> time
> instant power and time-average power. Which power should I monitor?
> If I use
> time-average power, I have to use the complex-valued fields, which are
> problematic for nonlinear systems.

Normally you would want time-average power for this application.

You don't need complex fields for this.  You could just average the
power over one period, after all.  Or you could use the Fourier
transform (if you are careful about normalization).

> 2. How can I get a nonlinear transmission curves? I think we can not
> obtain
> them as in the linear system by Fourier transform, because the
> amplitude of
> the Gaussian pulse is different in different frequencies. Therefore,
> we should
> use plane wave with same power, and do many simulations for different
> frequencies. Is that right? In this case, should the plane wave be
> on in all
> the simulated time? Are there other methods or similar ctl files to
> simulate
> the nonlinear transmission curves?

Yes, you have to do multiple simulations, one for each frequency.  One
way is to use a CW source at each frequency and wait for the system to
reach steady-state.  Another is to use a very narrow-band Gaussian
source and wait until the middle of the pulse.

We often prefer to use semi-analytical methods for this, such as
coupled-mode theory, based on perturbative methods. If you are
careful, these can be practically exact -- perturbative methods can be
very accurate here because the nonlinear change in the refractive
index is very small in most practical materials.  This is true even if
the overall phenomenon that results from the nonlinearity is quite
dramatic (e.g. optical bistability).

Steven