On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:59:59 +0100, gpipc <gp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de>
wrote:
> Dear Meep users,
> I have compiled Meep on my personal computer in the office without
> problems; now I want to install Meep on a cluster (managed by someone
else)
> and I have a problem linking to some HDF5 libraries.

I answer to my own message to say - for the records - that I have managed
to complete the installation. For what regards the linking to the static
libraries, moreover, I realized that some environment variables that I was
using to point to the HDF5 libraries pointed specifically to the static
version, so I eliminated these more specific references. The further step
that solved the problem was to move all of the HDF5 libraries from their
installation directory (on which I don't have write permission) to a
subdirectory of my home directory and then point the linker to it; this got
the message that involved the .libs directory disappear.

I guess from this that the Meep installation procedure needs write
permission not only on the installation directory but also on the
directories where the libraries reside. If anyone could confirm or deny
this, it would be good. Moreover if still someone would be willing to
explain me why I am not able to tell Meep that it must compile with static
libraries, it would also be good.

The configure line that I used is:

./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/install/include
-I/lrz/sys/libraries/hdf5/1.6.10_serial/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/install/lib"
--with-libctl=/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/install/share/libctl/
--prefix=/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/install --enable-static
--disable-shared

I have tried, I believe, all of the combinations of --enable-static
--disable-shared but never got the program to compile itself with static
libraries.

Giovanni

> More precisely I get these messages from make
>
> *** Warning: Linking the shared library libmeep.la against the
> *** static library
/lrz/sys/libraries/hdf5/1.6.10_serial/lib/libhdf5_hl.a
> is not portable!
>
> *** Warning: Linking the shared library libmeep.la against the
> *** static library /lrz/sys/libraries/hdf5/1.6.10_serial/lib/libhdf5.a
is
> not portable!
>
> *** Warning: Linking the shared library libmeep.la against the
> *** static library /lrz/sys/libraries/hdf5/szip_2.1/lib/libsz.a is not
> portable!
> ar: /lrz/sys/libraries/hdf5/1.6.10_serial/lib/.libs/libhdf5_fortran.a:
No
> such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [libmeep.la] Error 9
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/meep-1.1.1/src'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/meep-1.1.1/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cluster/pr26he/lu64qig/meep-1.1.1'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> I am quite confused: the HDF5 in the cluster is configured with both
> static and shared libraries - relevant line of the libhdf5.settings file
> says
>
> Libraries:              static, shared
>
> and moreover a file libhdf5_fortran.a exists, but in the /lib directory,
> while a lib/.libs directory does not exist.
>
> If I do make install, the messages are repeated identical, then the
> installations does not proceed.
>
> Any hint? Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Giovanni

Giovanni Piredda